This summer, DreamWorks Animation dives into the turbulent waters of high school with a hilarious, heartfelt action comedy about a shy teenager who discovers that she’s part of a legendary royal lineage of mythical sea krakens and that her destiny, in the depths of the oceans, is bigger than she ever dreamed.
Sweet, awkward 16-year-old Ruby Gillman (Lana Condor, ‘To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before’ franchise) is desperate to fit in at Oceanside High, but she mostly just feels invisible.
She’s math-tutoring her skater-boy crush (Jaboukie Young-White, ‘Ralph Breaks the Internet’), who only seems to admire her for her fractals, and she’s prevented from hanging out with the cool kids at the beach because her over-protective supermom (Oscar nominee Toni Collette, ‘Knives Out’), has forbade Ruby from ever getting in the water.
But when she breaks her mom’s #1 rule, Ruby will discover that she is a direct descendant of the warrior Kraken queens and is destined to inherit the throne from her commanding grandmother (Academy Award winner Jane Fonda), the Warrior Queen of the Seven Seas.
The Kraken are sworn to protect the oceans of the world against the vain, power-hungry mermaids who have been battling with the Kraken for eons. There’s one major, and immediate, problem with that: The school’s beautiful, popular new girl, Chelsea (Emmy winner Annie Murphy, ‘Schitt’s Creek’) just happens to be a mermaid. Ruby will ultimately need to embrace who she is and go big to protect those she loves most.
‘Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken’ stars an extraordinary cast that includes Emmy winner Colman Domingo (‘Fear the Walking Dead’) as Ruby’s supportive dad, Emmy nominee Sam Richardson (‘Veep’) as Ruby’s enthusiastic uncle and Blue Chapman (‘Council of Dads’) as Ruby’s cool little brother.
Directed by Academy Award nominated filmmaker Kirk DeMicco (‘Vivo’, ‘The Croods’) and produced by Kelly Cooney Cilella (‘Trolls World Tour’, ‘Trolls’), with Faryn Pearl (‘The Croods: A New Age’, ‘Trolls World Tour’) serving as co-director, the film features a comedic powerhouse supporting cast, including Emmy nominee Will Forte (‘The Last Man on Earth’), Emmy nominee Nicole Byer (‘Nailed It!’), YouTube Diamond creator Liza Koshy (‘Liza on Demand’), Ramona Young (‘Never Have I Ever’), Eduardo Franco (‘Stranger Things’) and Echo Kellum (‘Arrow’).
‘Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken’ is released in cinemas on 30th June 2023.
To celebrate the release, we have 3 merch packs to give away that include a t-shirt, slap bracelet, stickers, notebook and reusable water bottle. Enter below for a chance to win…
This competition closes at 23:59 BST on Tuesday 4th July 2023.
Terms & Conditions
- The competition is open to all UK residents over the age of 13.
- Winners will be selected at random.
- By entering into the competition all entrants agree to be bound by the terms and conditions.
- Entertainment Focus does not allow collective or proxy entries.
- Entertainment Focus reserves the right to change or withdraw this competition without notice.
- Entertainment Focus will not pass your details to any third parties and they will be used solely for communication regarding this competition.
- Winners will be notified via email or social media and prizes must be claimed within 5 working days.
- The supplier may change the prize offered without warning.
- There is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable. No part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
- Entertainment Focus’ decision is final – no correspondence will be entered into.